The rivalry between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz was reignited Wednesday on Twitter. McGregor (22-5 MMA, 10-3 UFC) and Diaz (20-12 MMA, 15-10 UFC), who have one of the most notable two-fight series in UFC history and split results with a win each, showed there is still no love lost between them. Conor McGregor has publicly told Dustin Poirier that their trilogy bout is “off” and that he will be fighting someone else at the main event of UFC 264 on July 10. The Notorious One made these comments after getting embroiled in a Twitter feud with Poirier over a $500,000 charitable donation.
Amir Khan responded in slightly patronising fashion to Conor Benn’s call out after ‘The Destroyer’s’ crushing win against Samuel Vargas on Saturday night.
The 24-year-old made a big statement with his performance at the Copperbox Arena in London by stopping the Canadian-Colombian in just one round.
Conor Mcgregor Twitter
The son of British boxing legend, Nigel, he came through yet again in sensational style, improving his record to 18-0 (12 KOs) and leaving fans of the welterweight stunned.
His whirlwind of accurate punches forced the referee to jump in soon afterwards.
Errol Spence took four rounds to beat Vargas, Danny Garcia and Vergil Ortiz Jr took seven, while Khan beat him on points.
After calling out the Olympic silver medallist in the immediate aftermath of the contest, Khan has now responded.
“Conor well done,” he wrote on Twitter. “Great kid, wish him the best.
“At his age I was a world champ. Maybe if he had some belts that fight would make sense but he’s got a long way to go yet.”
Had Josh Kelly beaten David Avenesyan last month, it seemed almost certain it would be him facing Benn next.
Yet the Brit was brutally stopped by the ruthless Russian behind closed doors, meaning the big name he has identified next is Khan and he told talkSPORT he believes he is the best in the country at 147lbs.
“I told everyone I wouldn’t be surprised if I got him out of there in the first round,” Benn told Fight Night on talkSPORT.
Khabib Conor Twitter
Twitter Conor Sen
“People want to keep questioning me, saying it is a step up? Nothing is a step up, it ain’t a step up.
“Who was it really a step up for? Every time he stepped up, he failed. But people want to question me and what I can do.
“I beat Formella at his game, I beat the boxer at his game, and then tonight I beat the fighter at his game.
“[Jussi] Koivula, I beat him at his game. It’s just a matter of people putting respect on my name and knowing this ain’t no step up, I am a good fighter.
“I’m a great fighter, I’m a top world contender. I’m the best British welterweight; goes without saying.”
“I’d like Amir Khan next,” he added. “A nice domestic fight.
Arch slack. “If Kelly won, then it would have been Kelly. But Kelly lost and got his old violin out.”