Better Touch Tool Touch Bar
- Some improvements for M1 Macs (in case the update doesn't work automatically on these, please download a fresh copy from https://folivora.ai/)
- You can now make Caps Lock act as a 'Hyper Key' (a key that automatically presses all standard modifier keys for you). This allows you to define shortcuts like cmd+ctrl+opt+shift+A (which for sure won't interfere with anything) and still trigger them easily by only pressing Caps Lock + A.
To achieve this just record the Caps Lock key as a shortcut and assign the new 'Act as Hyper Key' action to it.
- Capturing the special & media keys on a keyboard and assigning actions to them is possible again (e.g. Play, Next, Previous, Eject).
- The 'Open URL / Open URL with Selection' action now allows to select which Browser to use
- BTT can now be set as Default Browser. This allows you to run BTT actions based on the URL/App, and e.g. forward specific URLs to specific Browsers. (E.g. always open Microsoft Teams in Edge. It also allows to implement custom logic using scripts to determine how a URL shall be handled.
For more details see http://docs.folivora.ai/docs/1003_did_open_url.html.
- Touch Bar buttons, script widgets and menubar items now support SF Symbol icons
- Added a 'Find Image on Screen & Move Mouse' action, which let's you search for some pixels on your screen and move the mouse cursor to the found position (if any). It's currently pretty basic but if you combine that with some click actions it can make it easier to automate things.
- The 'move mouse to position' action can now move relative to the corners of the main-screen or mouse-screen.
- The operator used in the 'trigger menubar menu item' action will now also cycle between items if one of them is disabled.
- Many little bugfixes.
Recently I upgraded my work computer to MacBook Pro 13 ” with the new touch bar. But to be totally honest I quite dislike the default customisability of the touch bar that is included in os X by default. Emma hix twitter.
However, if you’re looking for even more customizability for the Touch Bar, you don’t need to look any further than Better Touch Tool. This app can let you create custom buttons, complete with names, and custom icons for the Touch Bar, and you can even make the buttons app specific.
After a careful and in depth review of different solutions that could be use to amend that situation I stumbled upon BetterTouchTool (BTT in short), which is a great productivity enchanter in many areas such as hotkeys, gestures etc.
But personally, I am at least for the time being only interested in their TouchBar capabilities. On the picture above it’s an example snapshot of couple of my current shortcuts/workflows. You can add buttons with images, just text or both. Or widgets as well such as for example a Spotify widget that nicely enhances the experience.
On the left side you can see several ways of touch bar config. For example Global ones will persist and application specific will only popup on the bar based on the application that you have opened. In my case for IntelliJ IDEA I use debug workflow to start up the lovely debugger.
- If you’re looking to maximize your Touch Bar experience and you don’t mind a bit of scripting or coding, then Better Touch Tool is an amazing option. With Better Touch Tool, you can completely customize the layout of the Touch Bar. With AppleScript support, the possibilities are literally endless.
- Set “Touch Bar shows” to “App Controls” 4. Reopen the Touchbar Pet app. What are the controls? – Tap your pet to pet it. – Tap poop to remove it. – Tap the egg to hatch it. – Tap an empty spot on your touchbar to place a food pellet. – Tap anywhere with two fingers play with a laser pointer. – Swipe in an empty spot to.
But let’s cut the chase and take a look at a specific use case.
Hippo CMS (Bloomreach experience now) is a Java based CMS System in short. and since I thought oh why not make the launching a bit simpler? So I created a relatively simple workflow with couple of steps to connect to Terminal app first.
Better Touch Bar
After that as you can see in the image below I attached keyboard shortcut to go to a right tab in the Terminal application. I always have when working with this particular system, the process itself opened in first tab, therefore the shortcut will always take me from the outer most right tab which due to how i am used to terminal is always opened (if theres more than one) to move back to the first tab.
Great, now we focused on correct tab, after that we stop running process of Hippo in case it still runs from before with a simple CTRL + C shortcut.
What Is Apple Touch Bar
After that we input the text through typing (one of the options under Predefined Action) to make the rebuild. Command itself looks something like this:
cd PATH_TO_PROJECT && mvn clean verify && mvn -P cargo.run
Lovely, everything looks nice, we send ENTER button and it triggers a nice maven clean and build itself.
A small bit of automation to save seconds at a time, one by one.